Monday, December 8, 2014


The Sage
Greg Lake

I carry the dust of a journey 
That cannot be shaken away 
It lives deep within me 
For I breathe it every day 

You and I are yesterdays answers 
The earth of the past come to flesh 
Eroded by times rivers 
To the shapes we now possess. 

Come share of my breath and my substance 
And mingle our streams and our times 
In bright infinite moments 
Our reasons are lost in our rhymes.


I have always enjoyed these lyrics.
 Greg Lake wrote this song as a tribute to composer Modest Mussorgsky's 10 movement piano suite, Pictures At An Exhibition. Which Modest had based on his friend Viktor Hartmenn's artwork. The back story helps my imagination travel even farther.

Check out a live performance of The Sage here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive