Tuesday, January 20, 2015

 I am doing some research for a project and read Poems In The Key Of Life: Reflections Of A Combat Medic, written by Kerry "Doc" Pardue, last night.
Very emotional stuff. Here is an example.

The Last Breath
Kerry “Doc” Pardue

I was your nurse
You were my patient
Thrown together half-way across the earth
I am not sure you can hear me
You haven’t got much time
I will do my best to keep you out of pain
I will stay with you holding your hand
Until the last breath

It is my job to help you on your final journey
Your hands seem so strong for one so young
Your hair so soft and easy to touch
Your breathing is more labored
Close your eyes breathe deep and slow
That’s it let it all out…the last breath

Your face relaxes, your hands go limp
I was with you at the end of your life
I touched you, I held you, I loved you
I didn’t even know your name
All I have is the memory of your last breath


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive