Friday, January 30, 2015


Songwriters have to squeeze a story/idea in a small amount of words. That is why it is so easy, at least for me, to fall into a "song outline" trap. I finish a verse or two and think I am on the verge of something great. I have begun to tell a cool story. So excited, feel good. Then, I see that I have nothing but an outline. I have
told you the moon is shinning rather than shown you the glint of light on the broken window pane. Pairing emotion with pictures in a very limited word count is extremely hard to do. I constantly have to remind myself to show 'em don't tell 'em. The fun is getting that job done. When your song connects with you every time you sing it to thousands or just yourself or your dogs, you are enjoying the fruits of your labor.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive