Saturday, May 2, 2015



So, I attend a wonderful 3 hour Verlon Thompson house concert in Cleveland, Ohio last night. Verlon is the best. Always delivering an inspiring heart felt show. Lay awake all night with lyrics running laps around my glowing brain.
Finally start to fell like sleep is close around 3 am and someone starts pounding on my door. Then every door on the third floor. Again and again, each time increasing intensity. Then the focus of the fist zeros in on my door. Hampton's are usually secure I thought. Throw on clothes and investigate in stealth mode. It was easy to see he wasn't packing any concealed weapons. Very short story short; the guy next store is locked out of his room naked (how do you do that at 3:30 am) and wanted the person still in the room to let him back in. Lovers quarrel?

I now present thru sleepy eyes a fitting Verlon Thompson song.

https://youtu.be/KSRoqYISevk

A Whisper And A Scream
Verlon Thompson

There's a tomcat in the alley scarin' up a fight
There's a mother softly kissing her little one goodnight
There's peace and then there's chaos, reality and dreams
We're all trying to strike a balance between a whisper and a scream

Sometimes I need attention when you need left alone
Sometimes you feel like clinging when I feel like being gone
But love me soft and tender and we'll make the rafters ring
As long as we meet somewhere between a whisper and a scream

Well, I know you'll be listening
And you know I'll be there
Between a whisper and a scream we'll find a prayer
Well I used to blow up easy and put my fist right through a wall

You were shut down like a holiday not feeling much at all
But we met there at the crossroad goin' to extremes
Thank God we found each other between a whisper and a scream
Somehow we found each other between a whisper and a scream

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that, Walt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I about fell out of my chair the first time I heard Verlon sing this. It was at The Ark in Ann Arbor. I think it was his debut for this song. Guy Clark said he wish he had come up with the line "You shut down like a holiday". Thanks for sharing this!!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive