Sunday, August 2, 2015


Ran across a tattered cigar box with 2 dried out thread bare rubber bands laughingly securing the contents while I was foraging through boxes in the basement. As soon as I touched King Edward the bands fell in two and wrinkled tubes of watercolors and a few red sable brushes fell out on the concrete floor. My watercolor set! I think I packed 'em away when Jimmy Carter was living in the White House. Immediately I said to myself, "I need to paint some watercolors."

So, to refresh my techniques I you-tubed how to paint watercolors and stumbled across Sterling Edwards. Great artist and teacher; got me back in the saddle after a few video lessons. 

Take a look at a few of his paintings.






He has a great web site and blog. Loved his entry posted 9/19/14:

I find it interesting that when musicians are proficient at playing multiple instruments they are considered genius, whereas painters who become proficient at painting several different styles and mediums are often labeled as "trying to find themselves". As visual artists most of us go through an evolutionary process of experimentation with different styles and mediums as we endeavor to express ourselves through our work.  I personally find this a necessity to prevent becoming bored and complacent with my painting. A lot of the professional  artists that I know agree with this ideology.  Many artists do master multiple styles and mediums. So, why aren't they considered genius???

That is a great question!

What do you think?

My guiding light for interests and hobbies has been this quote by
Pablo Picasso.  


"I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it."




I have always enjoyed doing a little bit of everything. 

Keeps me fresh.


Run this by your brain a few times-

"It takes a long time to become young."

Pablo Picasso

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive