Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Last night was the fifty second meeting of the 52 Club.
Man, the farther down stream you get, the faster the water! Seems like yesterday.....

I sit here this morning with a black leather binder. 52 songs reside inside. All were written to prompts pulled out of a copper pail.

I am proud to have the task completed. It wasn't easy but, it was fun.

I learned a ton about songwriting in 52 weeks.

Writing a song every week gives you confidence. You get kind of cocky in a humble way. The process doesn't get easier; you know a little sweat equity pays off, so you stick with it and get the job done.

You learn that every song is not going to be a masterpiece.
Or a profound statement on society or human existence.  
But that writing regularly is the path to writing brilliantly.
I hope!

Having the prompt written on the top of the blank page gives you a kick start.
Some of the topics were:
climb the ivy
empty trailer
over the barrel
circus style
muddy puddle
upside down
coffee cup
free range dinosaurs
overlooked
chasing dreams
Open your mind and let images fill your imagination. Ideas will flow onto the paper and viola' you are on the way.

There is no such thing as writers block. Inspiration lives inside us.
The tools are always in your pocket.

I played thru my growing song book every couple of days.
Polishing and repairing. Pickin' and grinnin'. Jumping from page to page. Good clean fun.

Quality of the songs written? Mixed.

If I had to grade them:
3-A+
3-A
14-B
15-C
17-D

32 are not very good.

14 are decent. I would play them out.

6 are very good and will be recorded.
3 of those are the best songs I have ever written.

I would say that is a good years worth of pencil sharping!

Write on!

Next week's prompt is new day.

Got to get to work............

Good morning my name is Mr. Sunshine
It's a brand new day wake up and smile



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive