Thursday, January 22, 2015

Moving work by Kerry "Doc" Pardue from his book,
Poems In The Key Of Life: Reflections Of A Combat Medic.

Answer the Door

 I was just 19 years old
 When I answered my nation’s call
 It was time to put my life on the line
 For a thing called liberty and justice for all

 Went off to Basic then Medic training
 But was not prepared for what was in store
 Besides who really knows the difference
 Between a conflict and a war

 Youthful eyes turned very old
 When I saw the horror on battlefield
 I became indifferent to the trauma
 That was before me at 20 years old

 I returned home wanting to forget it all
But I was a different man
 My mind and heart had aged an eternity
 War had taken its toll

 Life is now filled with sleepless nights
 War still raging on in my head
 And though I fear no one
 I am afraid to go to bed

There are others just like me
 Still fighting to stay alive
 I certainly am not one of those
 Who made widows of our wives

 When our country called me
 I went above and beyond and more
 But when I called on the VA
 They refused to answer the door


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive